permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 14:31:39 -0700

I have never used rock phosphate in farming and gardening. I could see its
use being justified in areas with extremely leached soils though. One of my
permaculture principles is Everything is Appropriate Somewhere, Not
Everywhere. Natural sources of P include humaurine, humanure, any other
manure, buckwheat cover crop, and I would tend toward those first and the
results.

I know how it is being attached to a specific ag tool though. For example,
I like peat moss potting mix and row cover. I have found means of sourcing
these things in a recycled manner however, by re-using potting mix from the
nursery trade (you can take a guess what that means in Colorado), and
getting the old sheets of row cover from farms that aren't useful on large
scale anymore due to wear, but still have perfectly good patches that can
be cut out for gardeners.

--
Jason Gerhardt
Designer and Educator