permaculture - [permaculture] Alternative/traditional methods of doing laundry w/o a machine (how?)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Alternative/traditional methods of doing laundry w/o a machine (how?)
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 21:17:13 -0500

Now that we are all getting back to basics and everything, I have a
question:

Say, take for example the $1000 large capacity front loading washing
machine you bought five years ago to gently launder sleeping bags and
winter jackets
and use only 12-16 times a year refuses to function normally after sitting
idle for six months (can't imagine who that might have happened to...) and
you
suddenly realize you are going to be washing all your laundry by hand for
the rest of your life (driving to laundromat is not an option).

What are effective ways to hand wash laundry?

cold water OK?
plenty of large plastic buckets and barrels to use, wheelbarrow?
biodegradable soap
agitation methods?
beat them against rocks or concrete patio?

are there any recipes for laundry soap that might work better than
commercial biodegradable liquid detergent,
i.e. get more dirt out quicker and with less agitation? borax, salt, baking
soda, Bon Ami, vinegar, other household product?

Anyone do their laundry by hand?