permaculture - Re: [permaculture] azomite

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] azomite
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 20:44:08 -0400

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM, gil carandang
<gil_carandang@hotmail.com>wrote:

> our experience on rock dust show better assimilation is when we
> treat/process it with beneficial indigenous microorganisms. it makes the
> materials easily bio available.gil carandang

That's good news. My take on this is that application of
partially/completely composted manure should be mixed with or applied at
the same time with any and all rock powders applied.
Taking it a step further, till the manure and rock powders into the soil
then plant a cover crop of red clover in it. The red clover will help the
fungi extract minerals, including phosphate, from the newly applied rock
powders. After this and at the right time plant another crop within the
clover, oats, barley, sorghum or possibly rye. Plant food or cash crop
after this.

Gil's suggestion to inoculate the rock powder with IM is a really great
plan and should be tried. The resulting product could be used during the
growing season as a side dressing.