homestead - Re: [Homestead] The future of eldercare in the US

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The future of eldercare in the US
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:22:07 -0800

O.K., here's a misconception and one of the problems with this big pile of crap that probably wouldn't even make good compost. It is adding layers with price tags for things that already exist for free.

That's already the law folks. And since HIPAA, almost every state has come into line with a Living Trust/Will form that is given to every patient that enters any hospital. There is no need to have Medicare pay for a lawyer when you can go to your local hospital and get the info for free.

Right now, you go into a hospital and they ask if you have a directive. If you do, they ask for a copy. If you don't they ask if you'd like to make one out. If you have one and you are in end-stage anything, then they ask the designated person if you are to be flagged as "DNR" (Do Not Resusitate).

Under HIPAA, even a spouse can't get info unless there is a designation. Even a spouse wouldn't be given info for making decisions.

Lynda
The press corp is fact-adverse but very fable friendly.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Leslie" <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>

The way I read portions of the bill on end-of-life... it seems the gov't will force doctors to basically perform a legal service,,, i.e. advise patients to get a living will, etc. And the questionable parts of the bill that seem to be the source of the government mandated end-of-life issues is, to me, it reads that IF one doesn't have a living will or there is no Proxy (a person legally acting on the behalf), then the authorized medical staff gets decide, but only in accordance with state laws................. Push in the plug, or pull the plug. (page 429 of the 1017 page bill).

The alleged "Representative" didn't know about the clause on real-time access to personal financed and electronic transfer to pay (see pages 58-59). His answers led me to believe he is only representing the party line.......... not the people in his area.