homestead - Re: [Homestead] The future of eldercare in the US

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The future of eldercare in the US
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:28:01 -0400

Ok, maybe some of you can clear this up.
The President keeps saying that we can keep our insurance plans if we want to and are satisfied with it.
To me, that is just a weird thing to say...
We pay over $600/month for medical insurance-our portion of the premium-his employers pays the other half.
Of course, we pay taxes like everyone else.

So here is my question...
We could sure use that 600 bucks elsewhere-maybe even a medical savings account, so if the government will provide, I would certainly drop the plan we have for a less expensive or free one, after all, I am a taxpayer who is paying for that plan, too.

Why *should* I keep my BCBS plan when it is outrageously expensive?
If I ditch my plan, and others do the same, it won't take long until private insurance will be a thing of the past, and we will either overwhelm Obamacare or bankrupt the government.

What am I missing here?
Why would anyone keep their insurance if there is a free program that will insure me?

Leslie wrote:
I was invited to participate in a local area town hall via phone meeting on
health care.
FYI, the Rep. took a poll.................. and learned that 49% of the people "invited" completely object to Gov't-Care.
Poll Results, Question was what is your priority....
In favor of Gov't providing health care for everyone - 21%
In favor of Gov't cracking down and forcing all healthcare providers and
related to lower costs - 21%
In favor of Gov't improving heatlh care - 9%
In favor of keeping the system as it is........... 49%
Not lying.

Rep. Harry Teague's conf call 8/11/2009.
The way I read portions of the bill on end-of-life... it seems the gov't will force doctors to basically perform a legal service,,, i.e. advise patients to get a living will, etc. And the questionable parts of the bill that seem to be the source of the government mandated end-of-life issues is, to me, it reads that IF one doesn't have a living will or there is no Proxy (a person legally acting on the behalf), then the authorized medical staff gets decide, but only in accordance with state laws................. Push in the plug, or pull the plug. (page 429 of the 1017 page bill).
The alleged "Representative" didn't know about the clause on real-time access to personal financed and electronic transfer to pay (see pages 58-59). His answers led me to believe he is only representing the party line.......... not the people in his area.