homestead - Re: [Homestead] The future of eldercare in the US

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The future of eldercare in the US
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 21:18:15 -0800

HIPAA is another interesting item that came out the brainless ones in DC. Sort of. It seems Congress had "x" number of years to pass legislation and they didn't, so some agency did. Go figure.

Part of this was in response to folks like the Enquirer and stalkers. They'd phone hospitals or even brassly walk in and get all the info they wanted.

Lynda
The press corp is fact-adverse but very fable friendly.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Leslie" <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>

Definitelypost 2003.

They didn't say anything over the telephone. They don't even give pateint condition over phone.

Actually, I don't really think many are following HIPPA. Everytime I've been in the ER, or family has been in the hospital etc,,,,,,,,, all of the staff, doctors, nurses, techs have kept immediate family informed, but only in person.

My daughter almost died about 11 months after my son died. She was mostly unconscious for the first 24 hrs, and in and out off it for the next week. The ER staff needed a lot of medical history from me, and kept me constantly informed of the emergency diagnostic tests they were performing and the results as they came in. It took 4 days to diagnose. They even requested that a family member be at her side 24/7.

I can tell you after losing a son, if they had been following HIPPA and not telling me the status of my daughter there would have been serious problems. I probably would have been arrested. Actually in Miami with all the latins, I can easily imagine there would be a serious civil unrest problem if they refused to inform family members of what is going on. Riot would be an understatement !

Even out here, same thing. I take parents to docs/hospital.... all staff has kept me 100% informed.

If HIPPA prevents that, HIPPA should be tossed out as another dumb piece of legislation.