homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:29:06 -0500

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 10:31 AM, bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com> wrote:
> Okay, you say that a goat will make milk longer after the kid is gone, but
> the goat should be milked once a day. What if you had to leave , for say,
> a week? Would the fact that she wasn't milked make her sick in any way?
> what harm would be caused? I'm not a big milk drinker, though I drink
> milk. But, I do love cheese. I don't want to never be able to go camping
> for a few days or traveling for a week or two,............bobford

I grew up on a dairy farm, Bob. The answer is you don't go. Or you
find someone to do the milking for you. I'm drying up the goats in
December and I have from then until February to do my world tour :>)

Bad things would happen if you had to leave for a week. You'd have to
get someone to milk. The other option is to milk once a day and leave
the kids with her the other 12 hours. That way you just let the kids
(calf) in with her and go on your camping trip and start milking when
you come back. You loose production that way, but it works.

I did however dine on macaroni and cheese with goat cheddar. Yum. Good
pay for being tied to the 6am and 6 pm milking.

Rob - Va