homestead - [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:21:00 -0600

The standard for goats is 305 days with 2 months off beforet he next
kidding. However, some goats -- especially high-producing Saanens can
be milked straight through for two or even three years.

Note about cows: When I was a kid we had a brown swiss that we milked
for more than 10 years with no calves.

Goats need to be milked at least one a day; some dairies milk 3X. The
more you milk them, the more they produce (and the more they eat).

A dairy cow can easily raise a couple of calves, even if she is milked
once a day. As Lynn says, you have the keep the calves away from her
at least overnight.

Marie