homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 22:59:05 -0500

Generally you plan your vacations to the time just after breeding, when you are drying off the girls.

Robert Walton wrote:
On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 10:31 AM, bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com> wrote:
Okay, you say that a goat will make milk longer after the kid is gone, but
the goat should be milked once a day. What if you had to leave , for say, a
week? Would the fact that she wasn't milked make her sick in any way? what
harm would be caused? I'm not a big milk drinker, though I drink milk. But,
I do love cheese. I don't want to never be able to go camping for a few days
or traveling for a week or two,............bobford

I grew up on a dairy farm, Bob. The answer is you don't go. Or you
find someone to do the milking for you. I'm drying up the goats in
December and I have from then until February to do my world tour :>)

--
“Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda