homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:09:59 -0500

One thing about goats..generally speaking, goats are like
kindergarteners...you really, really don't want to leave them
unsupervised for a week. They WILL find a way to get into trouble, in
the most strangest way imagineable.

I was thinking that, too, about almost any animal. You can't imagine the things the cows have gotten into...I once found one who had pulled an entire window frame out of the barn wall (after breaking all the glass out) and was wearing it like a necklace. I've had sheep stuck in the mud, stuck in woven-wire fence, stuck in a piece of barbed wire that I missed removing, even stuck in multiflora rose bushes. Farming is boring peacefullness punctuated by disasters when you least expect them.

People who want to take vacations shouldn't have farm animals. Even gardens can get up to no good if left unsupervised for a week. Plus my old farm house is very high maintenence. My son has finally figured out that if he doesn't tend the stove, it will get mighty cold in here. In 12 years, I've spent 3 or 4 nights (one night at a time is all I dared) away from the farm, and that was when my ex was here to deal with any disasters. My kids are just getting old enough where I trust them to deal responsibly with things if I'm not here.

Lynn Wigglesworth