homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:13:54 EST

> > What if you had to leave , for say, a week? Would the fact that she
> wasn't milked make her sick in any way? what harm would be caused?

I'm becoming confused reading through these threads which have accumulated,
so it is very likely someone has already aswered this, but:

The goat will dry up. At least if she doesn't dry up, she will drop in
production drastically. Lactating animals produce milk on demand. That's
why you
can milk the goat once a day or three times a day, the more the demand, the
more she produces.

But mainly you risk mastitis which will make the goat very sick and could
kill her. It could also permanently scar or block the udders.

That is, bad idea.

James