homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period

  • From: "Jeanne Driese" <jeanne13 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:31:06 -0500

Bob,
A friend of mine has three goats. She is VERY independent, but still likes
to go away for a time. What she does is freeze her goats milk in one gallon
plastic bags. Then she has a supply on hand. She does this for several
months, (she stopped milking in late October) her new kids will be born in
the spring. This woman makes all her own cheeses from goats milk, as well as
uses it for baking, and drinking. She gave me a couple of gallons when I
went to visit. It was dated June 2008 and I used it this month to make some
kefir. It was delicious!
That system gives her several months when milking is not done.
Jeanne
tnhillwoman
North East TN zone 6