homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:42:38 -0800

Well, one of the things you might want to think about when finding a place is if there are similar minds folks in your "neighborhood." About a mile down the road we have another family with critters and their daughter comes to our place to take care of the critters when we're gone. Youngest does the same for them. They have goats and we milk for them and when we get goats again, they'll milk for us.

Plus, if you've never been milking twice a day, then it generally isn't a problem.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bob ford" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

Okay, you say that a goat will make milk longer after the kid is gone, but the goat should be milked once a day. What if you had to leave , for say, a week? Would the fact that she wasn't milked make her sick in any way? what harm would be caused? I'm not a big milk drinker, though I drink milk. But, I do love cheese. I don't want to never be able to go camping for a few days or traveling for a week or two,............bobford