homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period

  • From: william Eggers <wce1482 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 11:03:15 -0800 (PST)

I grew up on a dairy farm and the only time I knew of my father going
anywhere was on his honeymoon.  Then he got about 200 miles away and turned
around,  My mother asked what he was doing.  He said, I forgot to get someone
to milk the cow.  He went back home and refused to go on his honeymoon until
he found someone to take over.  When I was growing up he used to tell me that
I could go where I wanted and as far away as I wanted, as long as I was back
to do the milking.  So, if you get a milking animal, figure on it being a
twice a day job.  Every day.  My experience is that putting a calf on the cow
and only milking her once a day is a good way to wreck a cow.