homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 22:56:17 -0500

I agree. Sorry I did not respond earlier. The other thing that I have
not seen mentioned is self sucking. If una cabra has enough milk to
cause a lot of pressure(and she probably would unless she was drying up
anyway)she might self suck, which is a habit you do not want her to
start. It is almost impossible to break una cabra of self sucking, but
in her defense, it is a sign of owner neglect...goat hurts, goat sucks,
goat doesn't hurt and gets a tasty treat and sip of the good stuff.
Also, any milking animal runs a risk of getting ketosis or milk fever
and if you are gone, then no one is there to care for her to make sure
she stays mobile, etc. I know James is going to jump in here because he
has a different management philosophy regarding such problems, so I'll
just say it is possible and leave it at that.
One thing about goats..generally speaking, goats are like
kindergarteners...you really, really don't want to leave them
unsupervised for a week. They WILL find a way to get into trouble, in
the most strangest way imagineable.
Bev

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
What if you had to leave , for say, a week? Would the fact that
she
wasn't milked make her sick in any way? what harm would be caused?

I'm becoming confused reading through these threads which have
accumulated, so it is very likely someone has already aswered this,
but:

The goat will dry up. At least if she doesn't dry up, she will drop
in production drastically. Lactating animals produce milk on demand.
That's why you can milk the goat once a day or three times a day, the
more the demand, the more she produces.

But mainly you risk mastitis which will make the goat very sick and
could kill her. It could also permanently scar or block the udders.

That is, bad idea.

Change your homestead list member options: http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/erthnsky%40bellsouth.net
View the archives at: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/homestead