homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dairy goat lactation period
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:23:34 -0600

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> Find someone near you who will sell you milk as you want it. The work
> of animal husbandry is simply too great to justify minimal usage of
> milk or meat.
>
> Think beyond independence to community.

Amen to that. If you don't want to be tied down and don't have
reliable backup, having any kind of animals is dicey. I have neighbors
who have both goat milk and Jersey milk if I want it when I'm not
milking.

Yes, you could leave a goat for a week. It wouldn't hurt her, but
she'd be dried off when you got back. James has the right set up: a
family that will take up what chores need doing. The rest of us have
to make friends in the community. I've managed that, at least.

Marie