homestead - Re: [Homestead] Video about Obama

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Video about Obama
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:52:59 EDT

(Bev)
> I would protest anyone else's right
> to continue to puff on...personal liberty and all that jazz.

Smokers have become the modern day lepers, a shunned and pitied sub-culture.
At one, and easily within memory, close to 90% of adults were smokers. Now
some estimates put it as low as 15%. (You will find the range reported as a
much smaller swing by some sources, as little as 60% down to 30% but memory
and
observation makes me think the former is more correct).

As others have pointed out the majority now has become weary of the rudeness.
In Georgia as now in Tennessee the dire predicitons that bars and
restaurants would all go by the wayside proved to be false. A friend of mine
ran a
Hampton Inn in Abingdon, Va near here. It has 66 rooms and only six were
designated as smoking rooms. No one wanted them. Night after night they
were vacant
while potential guests went elsewhere to find stinch-free rooms. So the inn
reduced it to three (and hired me to repaint the old ones. They also had to
replace the carpet, drapes, and all the furniture). Still no one wanted the
three remaining ones so those were converted too. She reported that very,
very
occasionally an irate potential guest would go into a fit, but it happened so
rarely that providing a place for tobacco addicts was not economically
feasible.

But as to the 'freedom' angle. A few years ago I became active in the local
Libertarian Party before I determined that they were to a person delusional
nut cases. Nothing wrong with the platform and philosophy, but the memebers
are
by and large useless wastrels that couldn't organize a ham sandwich. We met
at the local Logan's Roadhouse (chain like Outback, Bennigans, Ruby
Tuesday's,
etc. whatever you have in your area) and those of us having dinner would be
faced with the addicts lighting up in our faces (this was before Tennessee's
comprehenive smoking ban). Any hint at protest was met with the Libertarian
mantara, "My freedom! Freedom to smoke!"

Fine. Next meeting I had a chef's salad for supper and when the ususal
suspects were gathered around, I pulled out a pint jar of some cheese we'd
made
which was suppsed to be Stilton (stinky enough in its own right) but had gone
way
beyond the Limberger stage. As you cheese aficionados know, such stinky
cheesses only stink, that don't taste that way. But this cheese was
magnificient
in its reek!

Those sitting close to me, some with cigarettes in hand, truned green and
asked me to remove the souce of the stinch. "My freedom,freedom to eat
cheese."
When they got up to move away, I followed them and put even more cheese on
the salad.

Someone else at another Libertarian meeting pulled the same stunt by not
bathing for a week. Let's see just how much you stand by your 'freedom to
reek'
stand!!

>Gene, if I may, why do you only spend summers at Heartwood? It seems
>odd that someone who writes a book about how to find the ideal country
>home and has a website called ruralize.com lives in the city in Arizona,
>especially when Heartwood is so beautiful, invigorating and potentially
>sustainable(not to mention the ideal country home)? I'm sure you have a
>good reason, but it just seems like a non-sequitur to me.

Ounch! And touche. Not that yours is the only mind this has crossed.

James

</HTML>