homestead - Re: [Homestead] Video about Obama

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Video about Obama
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:29:57 -0700

On Mar 30, 2008, at 2:28 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

Okay, I am gonna bite, er, at least nibble here...
Extreme negative health conditions are long and well documented for
speeding in an automobile, too, and I'd bet that 90% of people speed on
a regular basis, at least it would be a higher percentage of people who
speed than who smoke (~25%).

Dearest Bev, we all love you, but I gotta tell you, you are being really, really defensive about smoking, kid.

But if you really want to seriously discuss it, consider that smoking is optional. For most people, driving is mandatory.

It's funny to me that current and past presidents are almost always
blamed for tougher laws whether they veto or not. You just don't hear
the Senate getting any blame or credit for the laws they pass or the
justices they approve...no...what you hear is a president's name
attached to it...like Ronald Reagan and the Brady Bill(not a stellar
example, I know<g>)...or GHW Bush and Judge Thomas or Clinton and Judge
Ginsberg, etc....the president ALWAYS get top billing, for better or
worse, and especially for worse.

Well, the Prez is the leader of his party and they all kow-tow to him. And he does own the bully pulpit. Like God, all good things are attributed to his greatness. Unlike God, he also gets credit for a lot of the bad stuff. It goes with the territory.

Anyway, it almost sounded like you
were going to be making excuses for the O-man in advance of his
coronation...lol...

Should he go all the way, he will surely make plenty of mistakes. I will call them the way I see them.

who knows though, he might just veto tougher smoking
legislation...I doubt it, but it would sure make me like the guy a whole
lot better than if he succumbed to social pressure. (I like anyone who
will stand up for individual rights-especially against a majority)

Well, I am fully in favor of maximal personal freedom. Where it hits a bump is when the freedom that A exercises impedes on B's rights. I would downgrade any leader who led his people down an unhealthy path.

will he, as a smoker, champion the rights of smokers?

I believe he is now an ex-smoker.

I think that is wishful thinking on your part, but hey, I could be wrong
as I haven't read much on his personal life. I've always had a fondness
for smokers in my heart, since I was one for so long...he would be THE
perfect champion for an individual's right to smoke, or toke, or
whatever. :) Barack IS the new and improved Marlboro Man...lol..

Bev, your bias is loud and clear. We got it. Smoking kills people. It kills their lungs and it weakens their immune system so they get sick from other problems more easily. You are manifesting the highly intelligent human who subverts their intelligence to their emotions on a serious matter.

I hear the first lady smokes, too...I wonder where...lol...I kind of
doubt that they make HER stand out on the street in the rain, 20 feet
from the gate....lol...
And why is it "okay" for President Clinton to smoke cigars, but not
really okay for Obama to smoke ciggies? If he makes it to the Oval
Office, I wonder where HE will smoke...he could prolly get a few leads
on hidey-holes from Bill, if they are still talking by then...lol...

I wonder...And WHY would he not endear himself to the South's
Tobacco World by allowing photos of him smoking a cigarette?

He is a role model. Bad message to young blacks? And, I thought we
were against pandering.

Young blacks??
He should be a role model for young males. Besides, more whites and
Hispanics smoke than blacks.

I guess California and Colorado are more important.

What's the connection?

Those two states are seen by other states, at least here, as being
states with a large population of people who are obsessed-bordering on
fanatical about health.

Methinks the South doth protest too much. Probably guilty consciences. Pretty declasse to put down people who take health seriously, don't you think?

Personally, I have always immensely enjoyed watching the health conscious girls jogging down the strand. More, more, more, I say!