homestead - Re: [Homestead] Video about Obama

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Video about Obama
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:55:39 EDT

> He used the man to engage
> them because sure, he's a lot closer to their demographic, so I don't
> blame them. But they are excited about fairness and justice for all.

But what people have pointed out here and elsewhere is that this same
paragraph above could be applied to Hitler or Mao or Sadr. Just getting
people
excited is not only not enough, without the knowledge and experience that
shoud go
with it, it is dangerous.

A teacher engaging in legitimate education (and using 'education' and
'teacher' in the same sentence is a stretch for me) would present the two or
more
sides of a political debate and let the children decide for themselves. This
is
a partisan teacher engaging in indoctrination.

To give you an example of what I mean, the charater Neal Boortz co-wrote a
book on the 'Fair Tax', the proposal for a direct consumption tax to replace
all
payroll deductions and eliminating the IRS. A student of one of these
(typical) leftist teachers assigned a writing task of defending one side of a
controversial subject of the student's choice. When a student chose the Fair
Tax as
the theme, the teacher said "Fine but you can't use Neal Boortz nor his book
as a reference." She would only allow a list of the most voracious critics
of
the Fair Tax as references,

Such is not enthusiasm nor motivation. It's indoctrination. And it's both
evil and dangerous. </HTML>