homestead - Re: [Homestead] Video about Obama

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Video about Obama
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:42:36 -0500

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Lynda <lurine AT softcom.net> wrote:
> And this would be just one more reason I think the public school system
> needs to be dismantled. You have a bunch of kids voicing opinions based on
> what? Reality or sound bites because they aren't capable of thinking beyond
> the moment.

And this is different how from a bunch of adults absorbing the
propaganda in front of their TVs?

Actually, I think there probably is a difference: the kids are
learning about government, history, etc. and discussing it and thnking
about it. Their opinions are probably more thoughtfully arrived at
than those of many adults.

> Ya know, the guy reminds me of Jim Jones and, and dare I say, Hitler!
> Carisma. Pretty speeches. They got people involved also.

I'm suprised you didn't throw FDR into the mix. The difference (well,
there are a couple others) between Obama and the above-mentioned is
that he's asking people to get involved in government to work with
him. He actually seems to realize that politicians can't do anything
unless they have people behind them who care enough to be involved in
their communities and improving their own lives.

Did anyone look at that link I sent earlier from Fast Company?
http://tinyurl.com/36almh

Celia, thanks for sending the link to the kids. It was cheering --
clearly those kids think they can be somebody.

Marie