baslinux - Re: [BL] wifi networking

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wifi networking
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:03:28 +0000 (UTC)

Message from sindi keesan:

All of the modules got compiled (make all) but did not all get into my
package, so I just added airo.o and orinoco.o and uploaded the package
again. Sorry. 119K package.

The modules for the 2.4.31 kernel and Avaya card loaded successfully.
Thank you, Sindi.
Christof

I am glad it worked.

After loading the modules cardmgr tries to execute

/etc/pcmcia/network start eth0

and fails with the error:

/var/run/pcmcia-scheme: No such file or directory

The eth0 seems suspicious to me. What is the script network supposed
to do?

Another file that seems to be involved is

/etc/pcmcia/config.opt

I think BL does not use this method, therefore no such files.
You have to set things up manually.
Maybe 'ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1' or udhcpc if you have a dhcp server

that is included at the end of /etc/pcmcia/config. The whole file
was commented out, I tried to activate at least one line:

# Options for WaveLAN/IEEE driver (AccessPoint mode)...
module "wvlan_cs" opts "station_name=MY_PC"
# Options for WaveLAN/IEEE driver (ad-hoc mode)...
#module "wvlan_cs" opts "port_type=3 channel=1 station_name=MY_PC"

Try changing wvlan_cs to orinoco_cs (and WaveLAN/IEEE to what you have).

Probably this is one more step of configuring the wireless network?

Christof

I will dig out my 100MHz Toshiba laptop computer in a few days and get it working again with wireless linksys card (orinoco) if you cannot figure this out with Steven's help.

Can you find my old postings on the subject of BL and wireless?

Did your card work with Win98 in the same computer? We have one computer that won't work with a wireless card (in Win98) which works in other computers (or with pcmcia modems in Win98, but the same modems work in that computer in linux).