baslinux - Re: [BL] wifi networking

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wifi networking
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 22:29:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I am now online with BL2 using a laptop with wireless card, wireless
router, and network cable to the desktop which has a modem connection,
thanks to James. This is the only of three routers that worked with
udhcpc and told me it is 192.168.1.100.

I don't think I contributed very much but if some of my input helped I'm
glad to hear it.

I have a Asante router (bridge) with serial port that should let me do
something via nullmodem cable (how?), with IP number written on it, that
does not do udhcpc at present. It did not respond to lynx using that IP
number.

I'd try telnetting to that IP via the nullmodem cable. Or maybe ssh. I
have no idea what you'd use for login info, though. Is this a wifi device?

No antenna. I think it was described as a 'bridge'. It looks like a powered hub and also has serial cable so it must do something more than a hub.

Keep us posted on your success. Sounds like maybe the crucial thing in
getting the initial setup working is telling the laptop the address of the
gateway. The router doesn't know the gateway's address: it knows the IP of
your desktop, but it doesn't know it's the gateway. The router is likely
hard-wired to automatically get gateway information through the WAN/uplink
port which, as I understand it, you have no cable hooked to. So far as it

No, I am cabled from another network port to the desktop. Should I be using the WAN port instead?

knows, it's on a gateway-less network. But the router can relay any
internet requests sent from the laptop to the desktop--requests the laptop
knows should be sent to your desktop's IP, which the laptop sees as the
gateway. If I've understood correctly, this is how it's all working.

The Netgear wireless router is working perfectly and I can set it via Opera (needs a javascript browser). The Linksys won't even ping and needs Windows to set up. The Belkin (whose IP number is written on a paper stuck to it) will ping but there is no browser access.

The Dell Truemobile non-cardbus wireless card given me with the Belkin yesterday says 'device or resource busy' when set up with orinoco_cs or even wvlan_cs (which is older and does less). Is it dead? The linksys ver 3 orinoco-based card works (with kernel 2.4, otherwise segfaults) in one of two computers. The aironet 340 (no WEP, says Steven) works everywhere with both kernels.

The BL2 partition on the Toshiba has some FAT problem according to spinrite, but pqmagic is happy with it. Trying to load Opera produces pages of I/O errors and I need to power off to exit. (BL3 opera works). Is there some way to fix a FAT problem without deleting and reformatting and reloading software, using linux? I do not have room on this 744MB drive to copy BL2 (138MB) to the BL3 partition and then back again (unless maybe gzipped and that will take forever at 100MB with 24MB RAM).

Fix one thing and two others break....

James