baslinux - Re: [BL] wifi networking

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wifi networking
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:18:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I am now online with BL2 using a laptop with wireless card, wireless
router, and network cable to the desktop which has a modem connection,
thanks to James. This is the only of three routers that worked with
udhcpc and told me it is 192.168.1.100.

I don't think I contributed very much but if some of my input helped I'm glad to hear it.

I have a Asante router (bridge) with serial port that should let me do
something via nullmodem cable (how?), with IP number written on it, that
does not do udhcpc at present. It did not respond to lynx using that IP
number.

I'd try telnetting to that IP via the nullmodem cable. Or maybe ssh. I have no idea what you'd use for login info, though. Is this a wifi device?

Keep us posted on your success. Sounds like maybe the crucial thing in getting the initial setup working is telling the laptop the address of the gateway. The router doesn't know the gateway's address: it knows the IP of your desktop, but it doesn't know it's the gateway. The router is likely hard-wired to automatically get gateway information through the WAN/uplink port which, as I understand it, you have no cable hooked to. So far as it knows, it's on a gateway-less network. But the router can relay any internet requests sent from the laptop to the desktop--requests the laptop knows should be sent to your desktop's IP, which the laptop sees as the gateway. If I've understood correctly, this is how it's all working.

James