baslinux - Re: [BL] wifi networking

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wifi networking
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 18:33:15 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I can use a BL2 computer as a gateway and BL3.50 on another desktop on the
internet between two desktop computers.

Has anyoneelse used a laptop online via wireless connection to a
gateway desktop?

Sindi

I am now online with BL2 using a laptop with wireless card, wireless router, and network cable to the desktop which has a modem connection, thanks to James. This is the only of three routers that worked with udhcpc and told me it is 192.168.1.100.

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.101 laptop and 1.102 desktop.

I can ping between the two.

On laptop
route default gw 192.168.1.102

This sets the desktop as the default gateway. I then need to set up firewall on the desktop using ipchains from Slackware.

The standard BL kernels won't work for this. I used a kernel I compiled with ipchains support, bzimasmf.431 2.4.31 kernel but the BL3 'big' kernel would probably also work, or a bare.i kernel.

To set up firewall, using ipchains:
echo 1 > proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.100/24 -j MASQ

Steven explained this before.

To use two desktops with BL, the numbers would be

1. Desktop used as gateway 192.168.1.2, other 192.168.1.1
2. route default gw 192.168.1.2
3 ipchains line 192.168.1.0
Dial with .1.2, use 1.1 to also go online.

When the router is involved, you would either need some way to change its IP number to match the computers, or ifconfig (or udhcpc) the computers to match the router, in order to go online. If the computers above are set to 192.168.1.1 and 1.2, they can still ping and ftp and http but not use Steven's send/receive routing. If set to match the router's IP, send/receive now works as with a wired connection (eth or plip).

mini_httpd and pure_ftpd work even if computers and routers do not match.
asmutils httpd and ftpd appear not to work.
busybox httpd needs to be configured to work.

To change the router IP number I think you need to already know it and access it with a browser, How would one determine the IP number of a wireless router that does not do udhcpc? (udhcpc tells you the number.)

I have a Asante router (bridge) with serial port that should let me do something via nullmodem cable (how?), with IP number written on it, that does not do udhcpc at present. It did not respond to lynx using that IP number.

I have a Netgear wireless router whose IP number I do not know. I will attempt to look up the factory default and reset it to that.