baslinux - Re: [BL] Lucent modem, was Re: floppy version

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Lucent modem, was Re: floppy version
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 06:34:52 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> Please include /dev/ttyLT0 in future BL's.

No, I don't think so.

> Lucent modems are the only winmodems I have
> got to work

The Lucent module is incredibly big and doesn't
belong in a mini-distribution. Besides, it is
bad for an old PC -- it reduces the speed by
forcing the old CPU to do processing that normally
is done by the modem itself. It is much better
for an old PC to use a PCMCIA modem (for laptop),
real modem card (for desktop), or external modem.

> I found the two lt modules at the BL site.

Yes, I included those modules because I wanted to
provide a complete set; however, I do not encourage
people to use them. Anybody determined to use the
Lucent module will need to create the appropriate
device. There is a command in BL3 for doing that.

> Does anyone want any other devices added?

It is way too late for this. I was open to suggestions
several months ago when I was putting together version
3.50. I was even in a position to make changes relatively
easily before I completed the floppy version a few weeks
ago (and I actually invited bug reports at that point).
But at this point, I am not interested.