baslinux - Re: [BL] floppy version

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] floppy version
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 18:10:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

They did not disappear when I ran this experiment
in BL2 and mounted the new ramdisk.

Then something was wrong with your experiment.
When you mount a device at a mountpoint, the
current contents of that mountpoint disappear
(until you umount it).

I will try again.

If the /usr/local/bin in BL3.50 is on the path
but not empty

/usr/local/bin is empty in BL3.50.

Yes, clever.

Abiword would not fit.

Abiword fits into the DOS version, although it would
be better to install BL3 to HD first.

It would need four disks.

It would be simpler to establish an internet connection
and download the complete Abiword package.

Not at 6 MB per hour download speed. Or on an unknown computer where you would need to figure out the ethernet module if they have broadband, assuming it is not a USB-only DSL modem. Not that anyone would want to run Abiword from a floppy-disk linux, this is just a theoretical issue.

Is there a linux 'split' program

Yes. I'm pretty sure it's in one of the Slackware 4.0
packages.

if someone wanted to use the FD BL3.50 with a program
such as kermit (2MB) that does not zip small enough
to fit on a floppy disk?

Yes, you could use multiple floppies that way, but
there are simpler options. Like using a CF card.

Only if you stick the two floppy disks into some computer with PCMCIA slot, or if you take along all the modules needed to use parport CF adaptor and the computer you run into even has a parallel port. I carry BL around to impress my friends, and it would be nice sometimes to have additional programs to show off.

It went badly last time I tried.

Did you follow the step-by-step instructions exactly?

I am trying to follow them now:

1. Add glibc from Slackware 9.0.

I already have SW8.1 and will use that,

Then you are not following the step-by-step instructions.
That is probably why it went badly for you last time.

The SW8.1 glibc 2.2.5 libraries worked perfectly in BL3.40. Why would they NOT work equally well in BL3.50?

I would take me far too long to download SW90 glibc package. I have 8.1 on CD. It has worked for everything in BL2 and BL3.40.

2. Add /pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/glibc2/misc-libs.tgz

This file is not there, nor is the glibc2 directory.

Oh dear, we must have lost it in the system crash a
couple of months ago. Apparently you are the first
person to try it since then.

What was in there?

I'll fix it today.

I added the libraries needed from glibc 2.2.5, not the misc (whatever those are) and the required x-libs.tgz libraries: libSM libICE (one of those is static, the other dependent on it) and libXext.

BL3 ldd does not work with libraries, just executables.
I can ls and see libXext.so.6.1 and the symlink to it in /usr/X11*/lib.
ldd from glibc2 says I have libX11 which libXext needs. Is there some sort of mismatch between the two?

I unpackaged Opera in / and run it from /opera*/bin/opera

ldd /oper*/bin/opera says libXext.so.6 is not found.
If I try to run opera, opera also tells me that this library is not found.
'cannot open shared object file. No such file or directory'.

This all worked with BL3.40. I had a smaller libXext.so.6.1 there (from an older SW - 3.5?) and tried that too in BL3.50, also not found.

I had this same problem trying Opera on the beta BL3.50 a while back, on a different computer. ext2 that time, enlarged loop this time. Different busyboxes. This BL3.50 has the same busybox as BL3.40. (Does the FD version have this same busybox? Some place I saw 1.22 go by).

Opera 8.52 worked in 3.40. It needs libz, unlike Opera 7.

Please could you retrace my steps? I am hoping to share BL3.50 with friends who are waiting for Opera, and the student of a friend who complains his computer is too slow for the internet.

Add from your x-libs package (or SW 3.5): libSM libICE libXext.

Add from SW9.0 (or 8.1 if you have it): ld-linux libc libm libdl lbpthread libnss_dns libresolv and also libz (all but the last are in my operalib.tgz package. I may have also included the large static ldconfig - the libc5 one I don't think works with glibc libraries).

I do a ldd (glibc ldd) on libX11 and get a warning that I do not have execution permission for it. I don't get this on the other statically linked X library libICE. Same in BL3.40. libXpm is the same warning, also statically linked.

Why does it take so long for jwm to load? About 10-15 sec at 600MHz.
It says something about blank.xpm and 75dpi fonts. Would adding some Xvesa or jwm config file make it boot faster?

I just tried older libXext SM and ICE libraries that work in BL3.40, instead of the ones in your x-libs.tgz, and it still cannot find libXext.so.6 - shared object file. Is that the library itself or something required by the library which ldd is not listing?