baslinux - Re: [BL] floppy version

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] floppy version
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 07:41:37 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> 2.2.26 lucent modules (by Stephen Clement?):
> lt_modem.o 415251

Wow, that's a huge module! It's even bigger
than busybox! Bigger than links too.

> But why not have more options in Xsetup?

Feel free to add more options to Xsetup if think
you need them. It's in disk2.tgz. Unpack, edit,
repack.

> I know older laptops only do 640 or 800 resolution

Indeed. None of my six laptops can do any better
than that.

> but I use the floppy disk version in friends'
> desktop computers.

I'm not worried about the more up-to-date systems.
BL3 is targetted at old computers.

> > If you need more, you can create an additional
> > 4mb ramdisk:
> > --------------------------------------
> > mke2fs /dev/ram2 4096
> > mount -t ext2 /dev/ram2 /usr/local/bin
> > --------------------------------------
>
> Is this some place in the instructions or the jwm menu?

No, it's not something for inexperienced users to
get into. However, if you look in /etc/rc, you will
see something similar being used to create the ramdisk
for /usr/X11R6 (where disk2.tgz is unpacked).

BTW, there's no need to create an additional ramdisk
if you are able to write to the local harddisk. I
don't think this works with current Windows partitions,
but if the HD has a DOS/VFAT/ext2 partition, you could
mount that and put your extra stuff on that.

> Does the kernel allow 4096 as the maximum size ramdisk,

Yes.

> and can I make more than one extra ramdisk?

Yes. /dev/ram0 is the root filesystem. /dev/ram1
is /usr/X11R6. So you can use /dev/ram2, /dev/ram3,
etc.

> I tried 8192 and got 'Filesystem larger than
> apparently filesystem size'.

4096 is the current max ramdisk size. To get a
bigger ramdisk, you need to recompile the kernel.

> How do I copy files to ramdisk?

Once you've mounted it, it behaves like an ordinary
part of the filesystem.

> Do I do anything special

No. Although, if you want to execute programs without
using the full path name, you can put the appropriate
ramdisk directory in your path.

> or does this just make more space to copy executables

It's just like mounting an empty 4mb HD partition.
It gives you 4mb of space at the mountpoint.

> maybe a larger nano as BL3-50 add-ons

Why nano? Slackware 4.0 has some fancier editors
that you can install if you want. Personally, I
use the default editor (e3pi) all the time.

> First I want to add Opera 8 to BL3.50.

Let me know how that goes. I've not tried
installing Opera on the new BL3.

> My partner asks about putting extra files on his
> USB flash drive

I don't have any USB hardware here, but I frequently
mount a CF card (via PCMCIA adapter) in BL3. It
works great. Simply execute: /etc/pcmcia/start
Then: mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt