baslinux - Re: [BL] floppy version

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] floppy version
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 04:59:43 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> They did not disappear when I ran this experiment
> in BL2 and mounted the new ramdisk.

Then something was wrong with your experiment.
When you mount a device at a mountpoint, the
current contents of that mountpoint disappear
(until you umount it).

> If the /usr/local/bin in BL3.50 is on the path
> but not empty

/usr/local/bin is empty in BL3.50.

> I was suggesting putting a larger nano on the
> third floppy disk.

I don't see the point. The default editor (e3pi)
is adequate.

> Abiword would not fit.

Abiword fits into the DOS version, although it would
be better to install BL3 to HD first.

> It would need four disks.

It would be simpler to establish an internet connection
and download the complete Abiword package.

> Is there a linux 'split' program

Yes. I'm pretty sure it's in one of the Slackware 4.0
packages.

> if someone wanted to use the FD BL3.50 with a program
> such as kermit (2MB) that does not zip small enough
> to fit on a floppy disk?

Yes, you could use multiple floppies that way, but
there are simpler options. Like using a CF card.

> > > It went badly last time I tried.
>
> > Did you follow the step-by-step instructions exactly?
>
> I am trying to follow them now:
>
> 1. Add glibc from Slackware 9.0.
>
> I already have SW8.1 and will use that,

Then you are not following the step-by-step instructions.
That is probably why it went badly for you last time.

> 2. Add /pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/glibc2/misc-libs.tgz
>
> This file is not there, nor is the glibc2 directory.

Oh dear, we must have lost it in the system crash a
couple of months ago. Apparently you are the first
person to try it since then.

I'll fix it today.