baslinux - [BL] Lucent modem, was Re: floppy version

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Lucent modem, was Re: floppy version
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 16:26:29 +0000 (UTC)

2.2.26 lucent modules (by Stephen Clement?):
lt_modem.o 415251
lt_serial.o 23633

Using BL3.50 floppy disks on a computer with lucent linmodem.

I insmodded slhc and ppp. I made /dev/ttyLT0 (mknod /dev/ttyLT0 c 5 62).

I copied these two modules and msmtp-static to a third DOS-formatted disk and insmodded them from there (insmod lt_modem.o and lt_seria.o).
(I also tried copying from fd to /lib/modules/2.2.26/misc and renaming to lt_serial.o)

I edited eznet.conf to use /dev/ttyLT0.

ppp-on told me my system lacks kernel support for ppp. I know I inserted all the correct modules, because next:

I chrooted to the BL2 partition and was able to dial using this same kernel and the already-inserted modules (eznet up 1). (Here I am).

I have free space still in both ram0 and ram1.

Might some file in disk2.tgz be corrupt and if so which one?
(What is the linux equivalent of scandisk for floppy disks?)

/usr/sbin/pppd and /usr/bin/eznet match the ones on hard disk (md5sum).

I will try to dial with a hardware modem. The computer I was going to test on got recycled this morning but I have an external modem.

The external modem worked. The provided resolv.conf DNS numbers did not. Unknown host for telnet or ping. Were these defaults supposed to work everywhere? I thought someone already commented on this issue.

I have copied eznet.conf and resolv.conf to the third floppy disk
(as .con) and will copy them back with the final f to /var/eznet/eznet.conf and /etc/resolv.conf. The two lt modules are on the fd but I have not got them to work. Could someone else with lucent modem please try it in BL3.50? I will try in BL3.40 with the kernel from BL3.50.

I should find David's static msmtp and try it. (Mine was glibc only).
Or mail from sdf via telnet. Or compile dbclient for libc5 (117K for BL2) to use instead of telnet.