baslinux - Re: [BL] Lucent modem, was Re: floppy version

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Lucent modem, was Re: floppy version
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 07:56:48 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> ppp-on told me my system lacks kernel support for ppp.

This is the error you get when you forget
to insmod slhc and ppp. pppsetup does it
automatically, but it doesn't last.

> Might some file in disk2.tgz be corrupt

I doubt it.

> (What is the linux equivalent of scandisk for floppy disks?)

e2fsck for ext2-formatted floppies. For dos-formatted
floppies you might as well use scandisk.

> The provided resolv.conf DNS numbers did not. Unknown
> host for telnet or ping. Were these defaults supposed
> to work everywhere?

They worked last time I checked (several months ago).
However, there's no guarantee that public DNS addresses
are going to last. It's safer to use your ISP's DNS
address.

> I will try in BL3.40 with the kernel from BL3.50.

There is no difference in the kernel. It's the same
in BasicLinux 3.50.