baslinux - Re: [BL] floppy version

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] floppy version
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 15:19:09 +0000 (UTC)

yOn Tue, 5 Jun 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

Why not just run it directly from the DOS-formatted
floppy disk instead if you are only going to run a
program or insert a module once?

Because a DOS-formatted floppy only holds 1.4mb.
A compressed archive can get 3mb or more on a floppy.

So if I want to run more than 1.4MB of programs, modules, etc, I will compress them, otherwise I can just run from the floppy disk.

is it okay if there are already files in the directory
that serves as the mount point (/usr/local/bin)?

Yes.

Do added files end up in the same place while
the ramdisk is mounted?

The old files (and subdirectories) disappear.
They reappear when the ramdisk is umounted.

They did not disappear when I ran this experiment in BL2 and mounted the new ramdisk. That is why I asked.

If they are really going to disappear, I would not want to mount the ramdisk at /usr/local/bin if there are already programs in there. No problem running them from some place else such as the floppy disk: /fd/msmtp or cd /fd ./msmtp

If the /usr/local/bin in BL3.50 is on the path but not empty, perhaps in some future version you could have some other directory already on the path which is empty, for use as a mount point for added executables.

James wanted nano for some reason. With wordwrap.

When I want to do more complicated text processing,
I use AbiWord.

I was suggesting putting a larger nano on the third floppy disk. Abiword would not fit. It would need four disks. Is there a linux 'split' program if someone wanted to use the FD BL3.50 with a program such as kermit (2MB) that does not zip small enough to fit on a floppy disk?

It went badly last time I tried.

Did you follow the step-by-step instructions exactly?

I am trying to follow them now:
1. Add glibc from Slackware 9.0. I already have SW8.1 and will use that, but Opera does not need the entire huge package. ldd shows that it needs:

ld-linux 83K
libc 1.24M
libm 148K
libdl 9K
libpthread 88k

ldconfig for BL3 and glibc 2.2.5 are both static.
BL3 ldd is 6K and libc5 but appears to be usable on glibc2 executables.
These probably do not need to be updated from the glibc-solibs package.

In order to access websites by name not IP, you need (for lynx as well as opera):

libnss_dns 13K
libresolv 58K

About 1.5MB of files.

Opera does not need the other libraries in glibc-solibs: libdb* libmemusage, libanl, libBrokenLocale, libnss_db.....,, about 300K extra

2. Add /pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/glibc2/misc-libs.tgz

This file is not there, nor is the glibc2 directory. What was supposed to be in it?

3. x-libs.tgz - this contains much more than you need for Opera, which according to ldd only requires adding a libc5 libXext (45K), libSM (33K), and libICE (80K) = about 160K. If you add all of x-libs.tgz it is about 2MB, which uses up the loop file fast.

I notice BL3.40 has a statically linked lib Xpm.so.4.3 (no longer used, and larger also static 4.11 - why, for icewm?), libICE.so.6.3 (smaller the glibc one in BL2), and libX11.so.6.1 (bigger than the glibc one). Not the libc5 versions from SW3 or 4.

Does it matter if I add the X libraries from your package or ones from SW8.1 instead? Opera (with libc5 icewm) works in BL3.40 with the SW8.1 glibc X libraries, but does jwm need the libc5 versions?

There is still an md5sum listed for BL3-40.zip, which is not at the site now. Along with BL3-50.zip and BL3-50FD.zip.