baslinux - Re: [BL] floppy version

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] floppy version
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 23:17:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

2.2.26 lucent modules (by Stephen Clement?):
lt_modem.o 415251

Wow, that's a huge module! It's even bigger
than busybox! Bigger than links too.

Windows drivers for winmodems are even bigger.

But why not have more options in Xsetup?

Feel free to add more options to Xsetup if think
you need them. It's in disk2.tgz. Unpack, edit,
repack.

I know older laptops only do 640 or 800 resolution

Indeed. None of my six laptops can do any better
than that.

but I use the floppy disk version in friends'
desktop computers.

I'm not worried about the more up-to-date systems.
BL3 is targetted at old computers.

If you need more, you can create an additional
4mb ramdisk:
--------------------------------------
mke2fs /dev/ram2 4096
mount -t ext2 /dev/ram2 /usr/local/bin
--------------------------------------

Is this some place in the instructions or the jwm menu?

No, it's not something for inexperienced users to
get into. However, if you look in /etc/rc, you will
see something similar being used to create the ramdisk
for /usr/X11R6 (where disk2.tgz is unpacked).

BTW, there's no need to create an additional ramdisk
if you are able to write to the local harddisk. I
don't think this works with current Windows partitions,
but if the HD has a DOS/VFAT/ext2 partition, you could
mount that and put your extra stuff on that.

Why not just run it directly from the DOS-formatted floppy disk instead, if you are only going to run a program or insert a module once?

I could write a 'dial' script on the fd to make ttyLT0, copy over resolv.con and eznet.con to where they are expected in ramdisk, and then insert the modules in situ and ppp-on (if it worked).

I did try inserting modules for fd BL3.50 from ext2 BL rather than fd or copying from fd. Lucent modem still would nto work in 3.50.

How do I copy files to ramdisk?

Once you've mounted it, it behaves like an ordinary
part of the filesystem.

Do I do anything special

No. Although, if you want to execute programs without
using the full path name, you can put the appropriate
ramdisk directory in your path.

or does this just make more space to copy executables

It's just like mounting an empty 4mb HD partition.
It gives you 4mb of space at the mountpoint.

I meant, is it okay if there are already files in the directory that serves as the mount point (/usr/local/bin)? Do added files end up in the same place while the ramdisk is mounted?

maybe a larger nano as BL3-50 add-ons

Why nano? Slackware 4.0 has some fancier editors
that you can install if you want. Personally, I
use the default editor (e3pi) all the time.

James wanted nano for some reason. With wordwrap.

First I want to add Opera 8 to BL3.50.

Let me know how that goes. I've not tried
installing Opera on the new BL3.

It went badly last time I tried. BL3.40 worked fine.
I should have followed this up already before you did the FD version.
Please could you check it out?

My partner asks about putting extra files on his
USB flash drive

I don't have any USB hardware here, but I frequently
mount a CF card (via PCMCIA adapter) in BL3. It
works great. Simply execute: /etc/pcmcia/start
Then: mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt

Good idea if you want to run the FD BL from a laptop. We have a CF adaptor. But this will not work on a desktop.

We have a 64MB CF card and parport CF adaptor with DOS epat drivers.

It plugs into the keyboard port for power.

Someone reported on this for Knoppix.

insmod parport
insmod parport_pc
insmod paride
insmod epat
insmod pd

These are all at the BL3 site (along with the two lt modules for 2.2.26).

mknod /dev/pda1 b 45 1
mount /dev/pda1

This is broken for 2.6 (as is the pc_net.cs driver for a D-Link 10MBit ethernet pcmcia cards). It crashes the system.

Re USB:

We now have five pentium laptops speeds 100-266MHz and all but the slowest have USB. People give us them for free. They all have a problem or two (dead or missing HD or FD or CD) but are usable. We were given two free USB flash drives and two free external USB hard drives and a free USB zip drive. USB 1.0 is in the obsolete giveaway category here now.

I may try using David Moberg's 1-floppy USB linux and running programs off the USB memory stick, and if more libraries are needed mount a ramdisk at /usr/lib. It is easy to mount fs.img -o loop from a flash drive and chroot to i. I tried using the more complicated method suggested by Steven but it did not work (as posted previously).