baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:27:15 +0000

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 03:25:50AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> Tried to test the HP with i810 but there is no way to switch between PCI
> and AGP (onboard i810) video in BIOS and the PCI card we put in is under
> the power supply. I will try the IBM (which switches between videos in
> BIOS) later this week with Xvesa and xterm in BL2, and maybe also the svga
> server, if the i810 server does not fix Lee's problem.
>
> Does xterm instead of rxvt help with the 'xterm' problem, with Xvesa or
> i810 X server?

Didn't try the xterm. No point. That's a big, complex utility that I don't
intend to use. The simplest of x-terminal-emulators is my choice.

Have't tried the i810 server yet, but will. Soon. I'm reading the docs
carefully and planning to preserve everything to do with Xvesa so that if
the i810 server is a failure, I can just put it back the way it was.

> What are the listings under Advanced in BIOS setup? Anything about boot
> or video? 512K RAM won't do more than 16 colors at 800x600.

Bunch of stuff about the hdd and boot order and mouse reporting and
power-saving.
The only thing remotely related to video is this:

Primary Graphic Device [External PCI]

But I'm not getting a video card. Don't have a slot for it, for
one thing. And I'm not ready to risk messing up my debian install
yet. BL is not working yet to my satisfaction. I've still got a
lot of work to do on it and need to fall back on debian for help.

> Someone once mentioned getting USB video cards, to run four monitors at
> once from his laptop for a form of widescreen TV, with a TV tuner card.
> Sindi

I prefer the software solution. The i810 server should give me graphics as
excellent as those on debian.

I _have_ enjoyed testing the limits of Xvesa, though.

Thanks a lot,

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful