baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:48:30 +0000

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 05:12:57PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> Lee wrote concerning his Gateway with onboard AGP i810 video which is
> working with only 512K of shared onboard RAM, probably because the BIOS is
> set to that. Debian and XP access 1MB, possibly by ignoring the BIOS
> setting.

> You did not answer my question above. It may solve your problem!!!!
> Please set it to AGP and tell me whether it now tells you anything about
> 512K memory, and whether you can change it to 1MB with + or - or however
> you change settings in this BIOS setup program.

There is no such option.

> Yes, but it appears have chosen it with a default 512K.

> The default of External PCI is probably so that when people add a PCI
> video card and do not know what they are doing, it will display to that
> card.

That's probably true.

I tried setting up the i810 server. Used my config file from
debian and the xf86config utility from the no-xvesa package. Put
simply "xinit" in startx and made /usr/X11R6/bin/X a link to the
server. Put XF86Config in /etc/X11.

~<#>startx
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0
requests
(0 known processed) with 0 events remaining

Ever seen that before? Xi810 -help doesn't offer a logging option.

Is easy to switch back to Xvesa. Just mv startx-xvesa back to startx.

I have gotten _very_ close to a good image with Xvesa, don't forget. And that
was
just playing (ignorantly) around with netpbm.

I think I'll try the Xfbdev server like you suggested.
Framebuffer support is enabled in the kernel and /dev/fb0 exists,
and I rather like the device-independent nature of framebuffer
apps.

Also,I imported a bunch of X man pages from debian, already in
plain text.

Speaking of which, I have lots of manpages in plain text (201
here and more on debian). If anyone wants them, I'll netcat them
over in a tarball.

No I'm not going to install an FTP server because _some_ people
are paranoid about giving out their IP. Why? Because anyone
running a server can get your IP instantly and easily. Because
you are connecting to their box just like you do with netcat.

And no, I'm not going to use the mail system. It is for mail,
not freight. And doing so would use many times the necessary
resources: I'd have to send it using an SMTP server to the
person's POP server, where it would be stored, and then they'd
have to connect to that POP server to retrieve it. And then
there's all that complex filtering at the servers (looking for
spam and viruses and worms and such) and the use of each of our
complex mail clients.

If I had any particular interest in people's IPs, I'd just look
in the headers of their mail to the list. They are right there,
plain as day.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful