baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 23:51:11 +0000 (UTC)

VBE version 3.0 (Intel(R) 8xx Chipset Video BIOS)
Total memory: 512 kilobytes

There is your problem. Can you up that in your BIOS config?

No.

Look again in setup, it may be under 'advanced' or something. I can check
on our computers if you don't find the 1MB option.

But why is it a problem? This same image I've been using
looks real with debian.

Debian and Windows must have some way around this memory limitation. Read
up on i810 video.

A quick search on i810 and video RAM reveals that in order to use more than the 512K or 1MB video RAM assigned by BIOS, you need a kernel compiled with agpgart or to insert agpgart.o. I don't recall if my kernels support that module. (I ran across it but could not make any sense of it). David's 2.4.31 or Steven's 'big' kernel might. Check for the module in the userspec.tgz or the online list for 2.2.26.

Debian must have this support built in or inserted as a module. Try your Debian kernel first. Dmesg might mention agpgart.

If you get this working with Xvesa and more RAM I might try our onboard video too. If Xvesa cannot handle the chip properly, then try a later Xfree86.

The default video RAM usage with agpgart is 8MB, which probably provides 1600 resolution at 24-bit color (but our 32MB Riva video card did not, only up to 1280 at 24-bit or less at 1600).

This chip appears to date from 2000 and was used by Gateway, HP, IBM and DELL in their more compact computers with everything onboard.