baslinux - Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 17:28:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, James Miller wrote:

A quick reply with some hopefully pertinent info I've managed to pick up
about wireless. For sniffing out wireless
networks kismet is a great tool. It's console. Used for wardriving. It shows
channel, SSID (if one is being
broadcast), whether network is secured and address range. The more recent the
version you get, the better. I doubt
you'll find any old Slack packages.

For configuring your wireless card from the command line, you need iwconfig.
For example, once you find the E/SSID of
the network you want to join, issue iwconfig ra0 essid network_name channel #
(ra0 is what my ralink wireless card
gets named by the kernel; you may use wlan0 or some other, depending on
card). Once you've bound that info to the
interface, just run your dhcp client: under Debian ifup -a, under Slack, I
believe rc.inet restart, and BL probably
udhcpc ra0 (or relevant interface name). If the network is not encrypted and
you've entered the info right, you
should get an IP offer and your card should get configured with it. You're on
the network after this.

udhcpc eth0? Then I ifconfig the resulting IP number and am online?
No gw if this is only one network.

The library is not encrypted and no longer requires a key. I am online via the laptop and the WPC11 ver 4, after doing a site survey and choosing the library (53% signal strength). Windows does not have udhcpc or dhcp. The Linksys software apparently includes it.

After copying the pcmcia wireless modules for 2.4.31 I will be back again with linux. First an Opera for Windows download in less than 30 minutes.

Thanks for all the ideas.