baslinux - Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 00:42:46 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

dhcp assigns the IP number (allocated by dhcp server).

It assigns the IP number for my computer?

Yes. That is the whole idea. The dhcp server keeps track
of vacant addresses and assigns one to your computer when
you want to join the network.

I can also just choose my own as 192.168.1.1? Sometimes I get an error message if I do that (or 1.2). Does that mean they are taken already? I could choose 1.27 or something instead.

and had IP address of its own 192.168.1.103 which I did
not try to ping.

Why not?

Did not think of it then. That would have told me if we were on the same network.

I will ask the library for their default gateway address.

Forget about the default gateway (for now). You need to
get a connection first. A gateway is useless without a
connection. Focus on getting ping to work.

I need to know the library's (default gateway) IP number so I can ping it. I tried to compile software to determine the IP numbers of available networks but it would not compile.

use iwconfig eth0 key NUMBER or echo it to /proc.

That is a worthwhile line to follow. Wireless networks,
I believe, are established with certain parameters. You
will only be able to get a connection to a network if you
set the correct parameters for that network.

And I need to either use the strongest signal

Are trying to connect into an unknown network? I think
that could be difficult. There are also ethical issues.
I thought you were trying to set up a wireless connection
with your neighbor. In that case you both would use the
same parameters in your network configs and set the same
key at both ends.

I am practicing at home before lugging the computer elsewhere. The next door neighbor who I thought had a network does not (maybe I can learn to set one up for him) and the people I know who do are a few miles from here. It is encouraging that the modules inserted and I can detect one of three other networks in the area. Last time I lugged the Win98 laptop some place, and it would not pick up any signals.

Find out the IP number of a strong local signal

There's a lot more to it than IP number. You need to
set the correct parameters for that network.

Which parameters other than port_type, IP address (to ping and use as gateway) and key?

I suggest you experiment with setting up a wireless network
between two of your own computers. That will give you a
clearer idea of what is involved.

I only have wireless working in the one laptop. The other won't access websites online or pick up any signals with two different wireless cards in Win98 (and I don't want to risk shrinking 98, which killed another setup elsewhere, to make an ext2 partition which I need to run 2.4.31 linux so the modules will insert). The desktop computer has EZ-DRIVE which prevents repartitioning to make an ext2 partition. I could add a 500MB linux drive. Or use the 486 with one bad key (type Alt-Fn-56 for : or plug in a keyboard) and one pcmcia slot.

Or try Ad-Hoc with the neighbor's Fedora desktop in the same room.
He seems to find this interesting too.

Someone at the public library must know their IP number.

Our county is already running three pilot setups of free countywide wireless (you need a password for the pilot) and will be installing the full system starting in 2-3 months. 84Kbps. Paid for by ads and by anyone willing to give them $35/month for faster wireless service.

http://wireless.ewashtenaw.org

I want to be prepared.

The University is discontinuing free dialup service for students and staff Jan 2, 2007. They could have waited 2 more months.

Thanks for all the advice. Do you have a public access point you could experiment on?