baslinux - Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:44:10 +0000 (UTC)

If I can detect three other networks, after inserting modules
and doing ifconfig to assign my own IP address

What address? You can't just pick any address you want.

Do I need to know the address of the network to which I am connected and
pick something in the same range? For instance if it is 192.168.1.1 I can
pick 192.168.1.103?

The answer is yes, but the common router IP addresses are 192.168.0.1 and 10.0.0.1 according to my neighbor. I would change to 2 through 52 instead (or more depending on router, 103 for what my neighbor detected).

We were given three wireless routers:

1. Cisco Airo model 340 with 2 antennas, pcmcia wireless card (won't tell cardmgr product info but should be airo.o), serial and RJ-45 ports in back, no manual. Cisco's online manual said to communicate with the setup program via a terminal emulator, which I tried but it wants username and password. Or via ethernet and browser.

I was able to access it with kermit and the settings 9600 N 8 1 at /dev/ttyS0 but did not get the promised setup screen, just a request for username and password.

The default IP address is 10.0.0.1 according to the online manual.
fec0 is 199.174.19.14 as I discovered by hitting random keys such as Ctrl-X. Alt-X got me some other menu.

There is software for Win2000/NT if you are a registered user that can change settings, or you can use a browser, which I tried next.

I set up a wired network with straight cable from computer to router (the two crossover adaptors have disappeared and my partner is out digging) and did ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.2 so as to join its network, then ping 10.0.0.1 but that did not work. I may need a crossover cable. The port is marked plain 'ethernet'. Tried with a powered hub and straight cables from it to computer and router, but that did not work either, so the IP address may no longer be the default and I don't know username or password. There is a way to set factory defaults but you can also destroy it that way. Unplug and replug while at the setup screen (which I can't even get to) and follow instructions. This one is borrowed.

2. Maxgate Ugate-330 Wireless Sharing Router with Printer Server ($300 new, big heavy metal box, no antennas) Has a slot for wireless pcmcia card, a card 330TX that I can't find info on for linux, parallel port, three RJ-45's labelled WAN (for DSL?), PC and Hub. $300 new, came from a Mac friend. Does DHCP.

I looked up the default IP address in the booklet then found it printed on the side of the router: 192.168.0.1.

I plugged the straight cable into HUB.

The booklet said to turn the computer off and on, instead I insmodded the ethernet modules, and then ifconfig eth0 down, and ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 so as to be on the same wired network. Got back a confirmation of network existing. ping 192.168.0.2 worked! Wired connection to something other than my own computers, at last. lynx 192.168.0.2 got me a nice website where I could change the IP number and many other things.,

Works with Mac and Linux except for printer sharing. I could set it up for the neighbor with Mac and share his cable internet eventually.
What does the pcmcia card in the slot do, act as antenna?

We had a network laser printer that they said you needed to set with Windows software but it worked to punch control panel buttons to choose IP address.

3. Linksys Wireless-B Network kit with 2 antennas, one cardbus WPC11 ver 4 pcmcia wireless card, no pcmcia slot, no serial port or parallel port, $90 new, manual only tells you how to install Windows software, got a lot of bad ratings. From another friend. The software left bits in registry that interfered with booting when uninstalled and also left about 10MB in My Documents and some icons and shortcuts. This has one RJ-45 for Internet and four acting as hub, into which I plugged the straight cable.

I could ping 192.168.0.1 again, same IP address as the Maxgate.
There is no webpage for setup, you need to use the included Windows software. No Mac support. Cardbus so not for BL.

I will try these last two in a wireless network with linux and the two
Linksys WPC11 ver 3 cards with the same IP address and no gateway yet.
Since these are access points, Managed not Ad-Hoc mode.

Could I use a router to pick up an external wireless signal and then plug several computers into the Linksys built-in hub or into a hub plugged into Maxgate Hub port? Using Managed not Ad-Hoc mode. And use the laptop only at the public library to get more than 84Kbps.