baslinux - Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 20:06:12 -0600

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 05:28:26PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> udhcpc eth0? Then I ifconfig the resulting IP number and am online?
> No gw if this is only one network.

eth0 is unlikely to be the name by which your kernel identifies your wireless
interface. So,
I doubt you'd use that. In my case, my wireless interface (on my Ubuntu
system with 2.6.x
kernel) is identified as ra0 by the kernel. I've seen wlan0 as a kernel name
for a wireless
interface as well, and I'm almost sure there are others. So, udhcpc ra0 or
udhcpc wlan0 (or
whatever name your kernel identifies your wireless interface as).

> Wondering if I can skip the wireless pcmcia and use the router instead to
> pick up a county-wide wireless signal and pass it along to my local
> network via the ethernet ports, assigning my computers all something on
> the same network (change the last part of the IP number).

You want the router to act as a client, then, not as a router. Some wireless
routers will do
this (like the travel router I posted on earlier), others will if you replace
their firmware
with more capable firmware (like the WRT54G, for which several Linux firmware
distributions
exist). I can't say if any of this Linux firmware would work with yours. Take
a look at the
Seattle wireless site, you might find some info there. Be aware that there's
always a risk
of "bricking" your router (turning it into a doorstop) when you load this 3rd
party firmware
onto it--if it will even work with the ones you have.

James