baslinux - Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 07:22:58 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> Steven and/or David, please help figure out why
> 2.2.26 works and 2.4.31 does not yet, with loop.

I know nothing about configuring a 2.4 kernel. I don't
use a 2.4 kernel (because it's significantly bigger than
the 2.2) and I have no interest in fiddling around with
it.

> Win98 and BL3 crash or refuse to work in about equal
> numbers of cases with pcmcia anything

I have a dozen different PCMCIA cards. None of them make
BL3 crash.

> wireless ethernet (cards that work in Win98 crash in linux

I have only tried one type of PCMIA wireless card.
It was very difficult to configure -- but eventually
it did work.

> A working 2.4.31-loop would increase the odds of
> linux working in more computers with more wireless cards.

I do not see the loop version of BL3 as an end in itself.
It was designed as a simple way for DOS users to test drive
BL3 and as a temporary tool for installing BL3 to a Linux
HD partition.

I know you are interested in increasing the size of the
loop filesystem and changing the kernel for the loop and
so on. But I don't really see that as a desirable way to
go. For permanent installations you should use a Linux
HD partitions. For moving around (and using BL3 on other
computers) the ramdisk version of BL3 is probably better.

> I hope pcmcia has become more standardized in the last 10 years.

On the contrary, PCMCIA was more standardized in the
late 1990s than now. Today hardware makers seem more
inclined to create their own drivers (instead of using
an existing standard).