baslinux - Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (az)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (az)
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 23:27:16 -0800

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 05:19:04PM +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:
> >
> > Using /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-uhci.o
> > insmod: unresolved symbol usb_release_bandwidth_R6d7b732a
> > insmod: unresolved symbol usb_alloc_bus_R5d9d35f3
> > insmod: unresolved symbol usb_inc_dev_use_R8164c87c
>
> This typically occurs when the target module (usb-uhci)
> depends on another module (which is not yet installed).
> A common cause of this is insmoding modules in the
> wrong order.
>
> > I thought the kernel (and therefore the modules,
> > I would think) were standalone.
>
> Neither the kernel nor the modules for that kernel
> depend on a library. However, modules can depend
> on other modules or on some compile-time setting
> in the kernel. If the required module(s) or kernel
> setting is not there, the insmod will fail.

Got it. They have to be insmoded in the right order and
they kernel has to have the right 'slots' for them to merge
with it. I guess I'll have to learn to recognize the error
messages that tell you that those are wrong.

Instead of all that "uresolved symbols" stuff, why didn't it just
say "you loaded the modules in the wrong order, bozo"?

I mean, the "unresoved symbols" stuff should be an _option_, but
the other one, and a couple of others, would be all that most of
us would ever need.

Thanks,

Lee