baslinux - Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:32:58 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Steven and/or David, please help figure out why
2.2.26 works and 2.4.31 does not yet, with loop.

I know nothing about configuring a 2.4 kernel. I don't
use a 2.4 kernel (because it's significantly bigger than
the 2.2) and I have no interest in fiddling around with
it.

Maybe David can figure it out - his 2.4.31 kernel also won't write to a loop filesystem after booting loop BL3.40.
L (Lee) is also familiar with 2.4 kernel.

Win98 and BL3 crash or refuse to work in about equal
numbers of cases with pcmcia anything

I have a dozen different PCMCIA cards. None of them make
BL3 crash.

Only wireless cards have crashed linux for me. Both on one computer with 2.4.31 (2.2.26 segfaults instead), only one of two on the other (with 2.2.26 - but 2.4.31 works). Lots of people have trouble with them.

wireless ethernet (cards that work in Win98 crash in linux

I have only tried one type of PCMIA wireless card.
It was very difficult to configure -- but eventually
it did work.

When the cards did not crash, they did not need any configuring to detect a router signal.

A working 2.4.31-loop would increase the odds of
linux working in more computers with more wireless cards.

I do not see the loop version of BL3 as an end in itself.
It was designed as a simple way for DOS users to test drive
BL3 and as a temporary tool for installing BL3 to a Linux
HD partition.

And to install linux to a computer where you don't have an ext2 partition
and don't want to risk destroying Windows 98 by shrinking it (like we did once already). For friends with laptops. The one coming tomorrow says he has no software on the laptop, luckily.

I know you are interested in increasing the size of the
loop filesystem and changing the kernel for the loop and
so on. But I don't really see that as a desirable way to
go. For permanent installations you should use a Linux
HD partitions. For moving around (and using BL3 on other
computers) the ramdisk version of BL3 is probably better.

Can't always add an ext2 partition.
Ramdisk takes longer to boot and you can't add much to it.

I hope pcmcia has become more standardized in the last 10 years.

On the contrary, PCMCIA was more standardized in the
late 1990s than now. Today hardware makers seem more
inclined to create their own drivers (instead of using
an existing standard).

I tried to test three 11g cards with Win98. One required IE5.5
(I hope Lee can figure out these acronyms) and reviews said it crashed Win98 to the point of reinstalling. Netlux won't let you have the drivers without a password to their download site. 2Wire driver was not to be found (I tried something for a Sceptre with the same P/N which Win98 refused to use). Do the later cardbus cards have any generic linux drivers other than rtl8180? The other cardbus card crashed Win98. THe two older ones worked with Win98 on two computers. This is ridiculous.