baslinux - Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 14:26:32 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> I need to know the library's (default gateway) IP number
> so I can ping it.

The default gateway is a machine ON YOUR NETWORK that links
to the outside world. It is not an external destination.

> I tried to compile software to determine the IP numbers
> of available networks

First you need to figure out how to establish a connection
(set the parameters on your wireless card).

> who do are a few miles from here

I'm pretty sure the range of a wireless card is less
than a mile.

> It is encouraging that the modules inserted

The modules will insert even when the network parameters
are wrong.

> and I can detect one of three other networks in the area.

Detecting is not connecting.

> Which parameters other than port_type, IP address (to ping
> and use as gateway) and key?

Don't ask me. I know nothing about your wireless card.
My wireless cards use a completely different protocol.

> > I suggest you experiment with setting up a wireless network
> > between two of your own computers. That will give you a
> > clearer idea of what is involved.

> The other won't access websites online or pick up any signals

I'm not talking about accessing websites. I'm talking about
putting two computers side-by-side and creating a network
between them (using identical parameters for the wireless
cards in both computers).

> Someone at the public library must know their IP number.

Stop worrying about the library IP number. You need a
connection first. Think of it this way: you need a network
cable running from your computer to the library computer.
If the cable isn't there (or is faulty), the IP number is
useless. First you need a sound cable (or wireless signal)
that is correctly plugged into the two computers. The
wireless parameters are the plugs for the wireless signal.

> Do you have a public access point you could experiment on?

No. Moreover, my two wireless cards use an old, slow protocol
that is not compatible with the current standard.