baslinux - Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 02:50:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, James Miller wrote:

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 05:28:26PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

udhcpc eth0? Then I ifconfig the resulting IP number and am online?
No gw if this is only one network.

eth0 is unlikely to be the name by which your kernel identifies your wireless interface. So, I doubt you'd use that. In my case, my wireless

pcmcia tells me about eth0, or if I take out one card and put in another, about eth1 or eth2 etc.

interface (on my Ubuntu system with 2.6.x kernel) is identified as ra0 by the kernel. I've seen wlan0 as a kernel name for a wireless interface as well, and I'm almost sure there are others. So, udhcpc ra0 or udhcpc wlan0 (or whatever name your kernel identifies your wireless interface as).

Slackware (or BL) seems to use eth0. If I used my small laptop kernel udhcpc did not work (it wanted a /shaare/udhcpc/default script which BL3 does not have) but Steven's 2.2.26 or my recent large kernel (which works with a firewall among other things) worked with udhcpc: sending discover, ... lease of 192.168.1.100 obtained... adding dns 192.168.1.1. I was experimenting with a Linksys WPC11 ver 3 (orinoco) card and its associated router (which is apparently 192.168.1.1) and also a Cisco aironet (airo) card and they both assigned me the same number (100) and the router is 1.

When I used a udhcpc incapable kernel, I could ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 and things worked. So it is definitely eth0.

Just spent the evening getting some rather unexpected results from the two cards, both of which worked fine in Win98 in a Toshiba Satellite 266MHz 335CDS laptop. I also have a 100MHz Toshiba 420CDT.

The Airo card worked in the 100MHz Toshiba with 2.2.26 (Steven's) and my laptop and 'smf' kernels (the latter also worked with udhcpc).
It worked in the 266MHz computer with 2.2.26 kernel, but airo.o would not insert in kernel 2.4.31 - several unresolved symbols including proc_register and bh_active. The software was identical in both computers but the newer hardware did not work with this card. Odd.

The Linksys card crashes badly with 2.2.26 in the 100MHz, works perfectly with 2.4.31 in the 100MHz, segfaults with 2.2.26 in the 266MHz, and won't insert orinoco.o due to unresolved bh_active with 2.4.31 in the 266MHz.

To summarize:
The airo (Cisco) card works with both kernels in the older computer and with the older kernel in the newer computer.

The orinoco (Linksys) card works with the newer kernel in the older computer and nowhere else.

The older computer worked with both cards and the newer kernel but not with the orinoco and the older kernel.

The newer computer worked ONLY with the airo, and only with the older kernel.

These cards must access very specific parts of the hardware and not have been tested on all laptops in linux.

Both cards work in the newer computer with Win98. I got online at the library by just doing a site search and chose the connection and connected. Rebooting did not lose the connection (Windows crashed a few times, and did so permanently when I stuck in a third card).

My partner is working on installing a newer pcmcia driver for the ISA controller that crashes Windows but worked once and maybe for the apparently identical one which Windows accepts but it won't find cards in Windows (it works in DOS and linux). So as to use cardbus cards in a desktop. It wanted a file which I found in the laptop with WIn98 and the wireless network card drivers installed.

The neighbor just gave us a PCI pcmcia controller/slot to try instead, which unlike the ISA models accepts cardbus cards. These have a thicker strip along one edge than the 16-bit cards. Don't need them if we have three working non-cardbus now (only one of which works in the newer laptop with Steven's kernel but not mine).

I have not tried linux on the above two ISA controllers or the other two laptop computers (including the one where Win98 does not work with two wireless cards and two modems). We have only two wired non-cardbus ethernet cards with which to direct the incoming signal to a wired network.

I have not tested linux at the library or on a real network yet, just with the router.

I am supposed to test for the neighbor three more cardbus models, two of them G (faster - he says N is now here). 2wire, netlux, and Linksys Wireless G. And I tested another Wireless B and he gave me a probably dead router to confirm. What would I need to change in my kernel or elsewhere to use cardbus cards?

Wondering if I can skip the wireless pcmcia and use the router instead to
pick up a county-wide wireless signal and pass it along to my local
network via the ethernet ports, assigning my computers all something on
the same network (change the last part of the IP number).

You want the router to act as a client, then, not as a router. Some
wireless routers will do> this (like the travel router I posted on earlier), others will if you replace their firmware with more capable firmware (like the WRT54G, for which several Linux
firmware distributions exist). I can't say if any of this Linux firmware would work with yours. Take a look at the Seattle wireless site, you might find some info there. Be aware that there's always a risk of "bricking" your router (turning it into a doorstop) when you load this 3rd party firmware onto it--if it will even work with the ones you have.

We already have one such doorstop and another that may just send and not receive (you can't ping it but it produces a strong signal).

James