baslinux - Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:25:33 +0000 (UTC)

Thread changed but the subject line applies:

Both David's and my 2.4.31 kernels do not work properly with BL3.40 loop.
You cannot write to anything in the loop itself, just to the /DOS/baslin partition, or to ext2 if you mount it. (I reported this wrongly before).

initfs.gz (gunzip, mount -o loop) does not use modules.

losetup /dev/loop0 /DOS/baslin/fs.img

Steven and/or David, please help figure out why 2.2.26 works and 2.4.31 does not yet, with loop. Lee, can you boot with your DEBIAN 2.4.19 into loop linux and save files to /tmp there?

I saw nothing in kernel config that looked related. I set it to Y for loop already. It just seems to mount loop R/O (read-only).

I want to use loop BL3.40 with USB storage, and with the two wireless cards that will not work with 2.2.26.

I tried using the WPC11 ver 4 in Win98 on the computer that has only loop linux but it crashed Win98, which informed me politely that it was never going to attempt to work with that card again. (ver 3 works there). Win98 and BL3 crash or refuse to work in about equal numbers of cases with pcmcia anything - slots (win98 can't handle ISA pcmcia slots that works with DOS or linux), modems (two hardware modems work with linux but not with WIn98 in two computers), and wireless ethernet (cards that work in Win98 crash in linux). A working 2.4.31-loop would increase the odds of linux working in more computers with more wireless cards.

I hope pcmcia has become more standardized in the last 10 years.

Still have to try linux on two desktops with wireless pcmcia.