baslinux - Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <sheldon.isaac AT verizon.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:13:06 -0500

On 20 Dec 2006 at 13:49, James Miller wrote:

SNIP

> Good idea. I was thinking of proposing something like this. Bear in mind
> that DSL (so as not to incur sanctions from SPGPACA, I will note that DSL
> stands for DamnSmallLinux in this instance though, in another context, it
> could stand for Digital Subscriber Line or heaven knows what else)
> "downgraded" from the 2.4.3x kernels. For last several releases, they've
> been using 2.4.26. I think someone onlist (Sheldon?) mentioned previously
> that the DSL folks had done this because of issues with the newest 2.4.x
> kernels.

I'm not smart enough to find that message here, or the relevant one at

So I googled, and got to

where he gives some links, and part of what he says in the article is:

"The kernel version for the 2.2 release of DSL is 2.4.26. The project had
kernel 2.4.31 in the 2.1 release but decided to changed it back: 'For maximum
hardware support on older computers, kernel and modules were changed back to
2.4.26 including legacy SCSI and zipdrive support.' The reason for using the
2.4 kernel series instead of 2.6 is basically the same. For more information,
check out the project FAQ."

The current Damn Small Linux is ver 3.1, and I think they still use kernel
2.4.26.

Thanks,
Sheldon