baslinux - Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 04:54:34 +0000 (UTC)

No, it has to be wireless, they do not support wired networking except
between library computers.

The wire is an analogy (I don't expect you to run a wire
to the library). The wireless signal is the equivalent
of a network cable.

I took the laptop to the library and would have been happy to plug it in via cable but they won't let me.

If I can detect three other networks, after inserting modules
and doing ifconfig to assign my own IP address

What address? You can't just pick any address you want.

Do I need to know the address of the network to which I am connected and pick something in the same range? For instance if it is 192.168.1.1 I can pick 192.168.1.103 like XP did? Sometimes when I assign 192.168.1.1 I get an error message about multicast, sometimes 1.1 works but 1.2 does not. Maybe there is a network 192.168.1.X but I cannot ping it. I should try to understand this instead of just diving in head first. Thanks.

am I still not connected

You are not connected.

and if so how do I connect?

First build the cable (wireless link). You do that by setting
the correct parameters in your wireless card. They MUST match
the settings for the target wireless network. Otherwise there
is no wireless link.

I am told for Ad-Hoc you need to set channel but not for the other mode.
What other parameters did you set for your cards?

If this works I can be ready to set up the whole county with wireless BL3.