baslinux - Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (fb)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (fb)
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:29:02 -0800

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 03:28:44PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
[delete]
> Clever.

Thanks. I had to really rack my brain to remember how to find
how to do that.

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man4/vcsa.4.html

[delete]
> ><#>startx
> >kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k net-pf-1, errno =
> >2 _XSERVTransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
>
> BL has no modprobe, unless you want to symlink it to insmod.
> Is kmod some way to load kernel modules?

>From 2.4.19 sources Documentation/Configure.help:

CONFIG_KMOD
Normally when you have selected some drivers and/or file systems to
be created as loadable modules, you also have the responsibility to
load the corresponding modules (using the programs insmod or
modprobe) before you can use them. If you say Y here however, the
kernel will be able to load modules for itself: when a part of the
kernel needs a module, it runs modprobe with the appropriate
arguments, thereby loading the module if it is available. (This is a
replacement for kerneld.) Say Y here and read about configuring it
in <file:Documentation/kmod.txt>.

Looks like that would have to be de-selected for 2.4.19 to use on
BL. Fine by me. But I still can't get my compiler to work. Posted
on a GNU utils mailing list devoted to such things and haven't
gotten a response. Depressing....

I re-installed libc6-dev and libc6, but that didn't help.

libc6-dev:

Files Contains the symlinks, headers, and object files needed to
compile and link programs which use the standard C library.

/quote

Apt-get installed the dev package first, and then the main libraries.

> >That makes sense. Thanks. It's a new mode of operation for me.
>
> >Time to fire up the
> >4-wheeled-planet-killing-slave-financed-war-machine and report to
> >Korporate Amerika for a few hours. Got to pretend that I am actually
> >earning the incredible material over-abundance that owns me, like
> >all the rest of the world's Middle-Class elite.
> >
> >Lee
>
> Can't you run a home programming business?

I've never programmed a home.

(sorry :-)

> You seem to know enough.

I wish. Wouldn't even know where to begin, and my C is rudimentary.

Can't even get my compiler to work!

> I work at home using a DOS wordprocessor

Word Perfect?

> and linux for the scanner and to do other things that I no
> longer need Windows for.

I'm impressed. And I do appreciate the vote of confidence, Sindi, but
I think you know a lot more than I do.

Networking interests me more than programming per se.

Ever looked into the Usenet? I sometimes search the archives
through http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search, but
wouldn't have anything directly to do with that cesspool.

According to my research, it has been ruined because the news
service providers cater to 'trolls' (abusive people who post
using many different identities) because they buy so many
accounts. And the 'trolls' are also the spammers who do further
damage.

The idea of running a newsserver/newsfarm that blocked trolls
and spammers the way that mailing lists do has great appeal, and
the accounts could be something like a dollar a month, though it
would take a while to build it up to the point where I could make
some kind of a living at it.

As long as it was limited to text (could run a webserver
for images, too) and off-line reading (connect just to
upload/download), it wouldn't take much bandwidth. NNTP is a
great protocol.

Lee