baslinux - Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (fb)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (fb)
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:40:45 -0800

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 07:53:09AM -0800, David Moberg wrote:
> 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
>
> > > I booted BL3 with my 2.4.19 kernel from debian and it
> > > configured the serial port just fine. But I lost X.
> >
> > Interesting... another problem with Xvesa. I suggest
> > you install a proper Xserver (instructions are on the
> > BL3 homepage).
>
> I don't think that will help. The problem seems to be missing network
> support in the Debian kernel. (It wants an extra module but it can't
> find modprobe since BL3 does not use it.)

Right on the money, David! I built a 2.4.19 tree in /lib/modules

/modules/2.4.19/kernel/net/unix and cped unix.o there and added
insmod -f unix to /etc/rc and X is now running fine on BL3.

from 2.4.19/Documentation/Configure.help:

CONFIG_UNIX
If you say Y here, you will include support for Unix domain sockets;
sockets are the standard Unix mechanism for establishing and
accessing network connections. Many commonly used programs such as
the X Window system and syslog use these sockets even if your
machine is not connected to any network. Unless you are working on
an embedded system or something similar, you therefore definitely
want to say Y here.

However, the socket support is also available as a module ( = code
which can be inserted in and removed from the running kernel
whenever you want). If you want to compile it as a module, say M
here and read <file:Documentation/modules.txt>. The module will be
called unix.o. If you try building this as a module and you have
said Y to "Kernel module loader support" above, be sure to add
'alias net-pf-1 unix' to your /etc/modules.conf file. Note that
several important services won't work correctly if you say M here
and then neglect to load the module.

Say Y unless you know what you are doing.

/quote

Except the mouse doesn't work, but that's just a matter of moving
some more modules over. USB/HID stuff.

Thanks!

[delete]