baslinux - [BL] iwconfig and busybox 1.3.0

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] iwconfig and busybox 1.3.0
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:45:22 +0000 (UTC)

Slackware 8.1 has a wireless tools packages of 54k containing iwconfig and iwlist, which together can be used to set essid, mode (Managed or Ad-Hoc), channel (auto for the strongest signal, or choose a channel), key (WEP or WAP at the library), ap (access point - any for the strongest, or specify with a long number, which Windows should be able to detect if I cannot figure it out in linux, or ask the library). Or you can

echo "0 :\x:x:x:x:" > /proc/driver/aironet/eth1/WepKey
(change for orinoco and etho0)

iwlist tells you what is in /proc/net/wireless

Slackware 7.1 may be too old to support wireless well, even with the older 16-bit cards. I already added SW8.1 glibc 2.2.5 to BL3 for Opera.

Busybox 1.3.0 came out Dec. 14 2006 (today) and contains bugfixes for dd, login, ifconfig, insmod, mount, umount (on my 600MHz Intel computer mount often shows four /fd's, or one when I unmounted it, same for hd, tho DOS 7.1 works fine), and improved tar and grep and cp and find. Claims to be stable. There is also a 1.2.2 stable and a 1.2.2.1 bugfixed.

uclibc has not reached 1.0 yet - 0.9.28 17 Aug 2005 and the latest 2.2 kernel is still 2.2.26 (2004), with a 2.2.27 prepatch (Jan 12 2005).

Kernel 2.2 may never support usb storage. "There are many changes to the SCSI subsystem in 2.4 which means the back-port is unlikely to be fully functional. Therefore the usb-storage parts of the back-port are not supported.

Apparently nobody cares enough to make 2.2 work with USB-storage. I just got Win98 to work with it (the free generic nusb23e.exe) and standalone DOS 7.1 works with one usbaspi and one other .sys file in config.sys.
Would the DOS drivers work under dosemu?

Steven, do you want to compile busybox 1.2.2 or even 1.3.0 uclibc for BL with iwconfig?

Do you plan a new version of BL3 before uclibc 1.0 arrives (if ever)?
If not, you could still offer a replacement busybox.

The busybox I compiled while running 2.4.31 appears to work with 2.2.26.
It includes modprobe. I will add iwconfig.